At Bastian Solutions, we continually strive to provide superb customer service at the highest standard, and not only reactive but proactive support. Transparency is a key component in helping achieve this objective and with that in mind, we are providing a full root cause analysis for the disruptions in service on March 21st, 2020 described below.
Scott Turner, Senior Controls Support Engineer, received a call from Ashley Brown at KN Whitestown about a power supply not working. All the events took place on Saturday 3/21/2020. Below was the steps that were taken by Scott while working the problem.
Initial call taken and began working to get connected.
Ashley sent me this picture to show the problem they were having while I was still trying to get connected:
These are the E300 modules and 2 of them are showing a fault. She said the conveyor is constantly rehoming and they replaced a power supply. I told them to turn it back off until we know whats wrong with the E300 module so we don’t mess up the servo by constantly turning the power on/off.
Got connected to the PLC but I had to upload the program b/c the code is a different version from the one I had originally.
Finally, online with the PLC and can now see multiple devices are not communicating. I knew that before they had some Ethernet wiring mix up, so I was thinking this could be the problem.
We started troubleshooting MPA. Connection by connection. I had Ashley check each connection to the Ethernet switch to MPA. We did find that the cable 15104CBL1 that should go to the MPA I/O was not correct. This is a DLR ring and is hooked up in a specific way. We corrected that but still had several devices not communicating. We had a cable that was not labeled in port 4 that I had her remove since we didn't know what that was. We checked all connections in MPA and moved a few connections that were not in the correct port, but we still had comm issues.
We then went to panel MPB. MPB had DVR1, DVR2, and DVR3 cables that come for the master control station (MCS). We also had a cable that wasn't labeled and I had her remove that was well. We went through each port and put cables that were label according to the drawing in the correct ports. We tested DVR1 and found that it is going to MCS HMI Server, so we put that in port 11. We tested DVR2 and found that it was connected to the Thin Client at MCS so we put that in port 12. DVR3 and the blank cable we left unplugged b/c we didn't know what it was connected to.
We checked the MCS as well but didn't see anything unusual.
We then went back and checked MPA again. We connected the small switch up the way it was supposed to. It was connected not according to the print. After we corrected this one thing started communicating again. Scanner 1 -4 were still not communicating. Wes found that the 1692-ZRCLSS class 2 power supply circuit breaker was tripped. He reset that in FBA01 and FBA02 then they started communicating again. We found that the cable that was not labeled went to the Scale A VFD and we connected that in the right spot.
We still had scanners in Junction Box 3 not communicating but we found out that the blank cable in MPB went to that. We connected that in the correct spot. After this, everything came back up and was working at around 1:20 PM.
- Reset some class 2 power supplies
- Plugged all Ethernet cables to the correct ports
Next Steps and Preventive Actions:
Our commitment to you:
Bastian Solutions understands the impact of the disruption that occurred and affected operations for your organization. It is our primary objective in providing our clients with superb customer service and we assure you we're taking the required preventative measures to prevent re-occurrence.